A pest is best described as any animal which has a harmful effect on humans, their food, or their living conditions. The Pest Man aims to remove that harmful effect from your home.
While we deal with the full range of pests from flies, spiders’ cockroaches, fleas, bed bugs and wasps to the ever-annoying ant, we have found rodent control and borer control (wood boring beetles) to be the most sought-after treatments not just seasonally but all year round.
The damage these two pests can do to a property is extensive. House and contents Insurance and pre-sale building reports are just two areas where our rodent control and borer control treatments can influence a positive outcome. If your property is in our service areas which include Wellington, Porirua, Kapiti, Levin, Palmerston North and the wider Horowhenua and Manawatu area call us for advice. We have increased our borer service area to now include Whanganui such is the demand for borer control in older homes there.
Rodent Control Palmerston North and Porirua
From noises in the ceiling at night to mouse droppings in your pantry, rodents have a harmful effect to your peace of mind and to your property. A rat chewing through plumbing pipes in any property can be costly, especially one that is built into the side of a Wellington hill where remedial pipe work is difficult and costly. A regular rodent service plan from the Pest Man works for homes as well as businesses. It provides peace of mind and protects your property.
Our one-off rodent control treatment will still come with a maintenance assessment and recommendations on how you can self-manage these pests outside of a rodent control program.
If you currently own, want to sell or want to buy any property built prior to 1955 then chances are it was built using untreated timber. Wood boring beetles or borer in untreated timbers will cause physical and financial damage. Much of our borer treatment work comes to us by referral and our borer control services are sought after from Wellington through to Levin and Palmerston North. Homes built with untreated timber should be assessed every 10 years once a treatment has been completed. The Pest Man provides a 10-year warranty for a borer treatment carried out at your property.
Treatment Methods and safety
The Pest Man regularly reviews pest control products and application methods to ensure they are relevant and effective. Our technicians are fully qualified and all products and application methods meet regulations and are safe for use. The Pest Man will choose the best solution to suit your needs. Current SDS (safety data sheets) will be made available on request for each product we use.
If you have any allergies or medical conditions, it is always advisable to check with your medical practitioner prior to booking our services.
For your safety and to ensure maximum efficacy with each treatment please read the following information around the service(s) we are providing you. Please contact us before or after your service should you have any questions.
Interior Spray Treatments (cockroaches, spiders, flies, borer in flight, fleas, bed bugs, etc)
General pest control surface spray treatments allow for a thin layer of product to remain on surfaces which enters the body of the pest after contact or during grooming.
Before a pest control spray treatment.
- Put all exposed food products away including pet food and water bowls.
- Cover cots or infants’ beds with an old sheet and put toys in a closet.
- Put personal hygenie items such as tooth brushes away.
- Ensure all pets are kept away from any areas we are treating and cannot get back into the property.
- Inform family/staff members not to return to the property until 4 hours after treatment.
- Ensure aquariums etc are adequately covered and pumps are switched off.
- The Pest Man will check and cover/move anything you have missed.
After spray treatments.
- Do not re-enter the property for 4 hours
- Open doors and windows and ventilate for 10 minutes.
- Very Lightly wipe down food preparation surfaces but do not wash, vacuum, or vigorously clean any surfaces.
- Remember pet or human food which is not put away or stored Properly will attract pests.
- Keeping cupboards, surfaces and pets clean will always be the first step in maintaining a pest free home.
Exterior Spray Treatments (Cockroaches, spiders, flies, borer in flight, Ants etc)
Exterior spray treatments usually but not always accompany interior spray treatments. We may, if required use a more powerful spray on the exterior than on the interior.
- It is advisable that pets are kept away until at least an hour after an external spray to allow the product time to dry around the house and perimeter of your property.
- Pet food bowls and bbq areas should be kept clean and pet poop removed.
- Avoid spray washing the outside of your property.
Rodenticide baiting (rats and mice)
After talking with you and on assessment of access points and any maintenance requirements we will usually use a bait solution for rats and mice.
- Advise family/staff not to tamper with bait or bait stations.
- We will bait away from easy pet access areas however you must also ensure your pet cannot access these areas. If you suspect your pet has consumed bait, please inform your vet the name of the bait shown in your service report and follow their advice.
Gel Baiting Treatments (cockroaches and ants)
After discussion with you and often in conjunction with a spray application we will use gel baiting treatments.
- Gel baits are low in toxicity and only small quantities are placed in discreet locations.
- It is essential that no other insecticides (including fly spray) be applied around baited areas before and after any baiting gel has been laid.
Contact Powder Treatments (wasps and bees)
- Powder is applied by pressure to the nest entrance. Avoid the area of the nest for 24 hours as wasps are aggressive.
- We will endeavour to relocate honey and bumble bees in the first instance and eradicate only if this is not possible.
Borer Treatments (wood borer)
We use a spray saturation method in the sub floor and ceiling areas to treat borer. Borer treatments are now water-based powders allowing you to remain at home while the treatment is carried out however stay out of the treated underfloor and or ceiling area for 24 hours.
- Our equipment remains outside except for our hose so be aware of this trip hazard.
- Any Injection treatments are usually localised, and that localised area should be avoided for 4 hours.
- Borer in flight and/or where underfloor access is not achievable, we will Revert to a spray technique so please follow the guidelines above for spray treatments and remain out of the property for 4 hours.
Ant treatments are completed outside. We spray around the outside of your house and perimeter of your property. We will also use baits to lure ants to the sprayed areas.
- Please ensure pets are removed until at least an hour after the service.
- You may remain inside the property while we carry out the treatment outside.
- Please refrain from using any insecticides (fly spray) before or after treatment this will negatively impact the treatment.
- This is a slow acting solution to eradicate the colony and may take up to a month to achieve. Please be patient.
- Please avoid washing the exterior of your property or using weed killers or any other chemicals in this first month.
After Treatment Service Reports
After any service completed by The Pest Man, your technician will leave a service sheet indicating what products and method have been used at your property.
If you know or suspect someone has been affected by rodenticide or insecticides, please call the National Poisons Centre 24-hour line on 0800 764 766 and or a medical professional.